Advertisement

Saturday 16 December 2023

I might have to upgrade my Apple Watch just for Siri’s new health features

On Monday, the Apple Watch received an update called watchOS 10.2 that includes new and exciting health features. It allows me to converse with Siri regarding my fitness and wellness practices - a feature I'm eager to use; however, being unable to access this service on my current device is problematic. The only solution available would be purchasing a newer product capable of supporting these innovative advancements.

According to Apple, the S9 chip powering both the Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 permits health-related Siri queries to be processed directly on these devices. Consequently, your data stays within their confines at all times.

The type of confidentiality trait that I desire in an AI assistant, which has authorization to my health data, corresponds precisely with this.

One instance is the use of Siri to record health data. Apple has provided a list detailing some tasks that can be accomplished with Siri:

My medications at 8 a.m. were taken by me.

Please record that I have consumed my multivitamin.

My weight is 167 pounds.

"Today is the beginning of my menstrual cycle."

"Record that I experienced spotting today."

"I have a blood sugar level of 122."

"Note down my blood pressure as 118/76."

"Record my body temperature as 98.3 degrees."

Using the Apple Watch to keep track of my health and fitness is already a routine for me, but having Siri's weight log feature would be very convenient. As I've mentioned before, ChatGPT helped me prepare for a half-marathon and now I'm training for a full one. Maintaining proper nutrition by monitoring my weight plays an essential role in this process.

Unlocking the iPhone, accessing the Health app, navigating to Body Measurements, selecting Weight and adding data manually is a tedious process that I am not willing to do repeatedly throughout the week. Additionally, since my weight barely fluctuates much from day-to-day or week-to-week, it's also another reason why I don't bother with this task.

I am aware that it is possible to streamline the process of logging my weight by creating shortcuts or connecting a digital scale directly to my iPhone for automatic transfer of readings.

I wish it were as easy as using Siri on watchOS 10.2 (or iOS 17.2) to achieve this goal, but unfortunately that feature is only available on the 2022 Apple Watch model. Otherwise, you'll need to use your iPhone or iPad for assistance.

Additionally, it has been confirmed that the Siri health commands are compatible with iPhone devices. This was tested and verified as demonstrated earlier. Unfortunately, these features do not extend to my Apple Watch SE 2 due to some limitations in compatibility. Regrettably, this is something that Siri struggles to understand at present.

Watch instead of my iPhone or iPad. Thus, having a new Apple Watch could prove to be useful in those instances.

You can only watch. After that, I could pose other fitness inquiries to the Apple Watch. Siri is now capable of responding to a different set of questions provided by Apple.

"What is the status of my Move ring today?"

"Have I completed my Exercise ring?"

"Can you tell me how many steps I have taken?"

"What is the distance of my walking for this week?"

What's the distance I covered on my bike yesterday?

Could you tell me my heart rate?

"What's the level of oxygen in my blood?"

"What was the duration of my sleep last night?"

"What is the total duration of my sleep this week?"

"Can you tell me my current blood glucose level?"

"Yesterday, what was my blood pressure?"

The Apple Watch's proximity to me is almost always closer than my iPhone, which makes it convenient for Siri to log health events. By doing so, I can easily monitor and improve my fitness level. Additionally, despite the fact that the current model suits my needs well enough, I may still be enticed to upgrade if Siri's cutting-edge Health features provide a convincing reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment